18.12.10

My 3 Christmas Albums.

I find it hard to get into the Christmas spirit... Its hard to find a Christmas spirit at all, the decorations barely do anything for me, and if anything get in the way and annoy me, I guess I'm a fan of mince pies, but really.. I only really feel Christmasy with music.

Now, I do love Christmas cheese when I'm out with my friends, and though over played "Fairy Tale of New York" is a timeless classic, or at least within the fortress that is Blue Coat, and last years Stings christmas album has taken a high place on the Christmas Ipod top album list, but this years 3 Christmas albums however are, in no particular order (they aren't actually all from this year at all):

1) "A Very Ally Christmas" 


I think this is the CD I associate most with Christmas in my head, ever since I can remember dad has this album on in December. It's one I forget about, an album where without knowing I seem to have learnt all of the words to the songs for.
The album is a soundtrack to Ally McBeal, and features cast members singing, such as Calista Flockhart (Ally) and Robert Downy Jr (doing potentially the best song on the album; Joni Mitchelle's River
Yes, this album speaks Christmas to me. Vonda Shepards voice is wonderful. 

------------
2) Sweet Bells 


Another of my dads, for any fans of Kate Rusby, a folky take on some classic Christmas carols, taken with a bit of South Yorkshire tradition. 
I think this album wont be for everyone, but for a fan of folk. It's worth a listen, personally, have a listen to "Here We Come a Wassaling"

----------

3) For Folk's Sake Its Christmas


Now this one is an actual new album, another folk Christmas album from the wonderful people at www.forfolkssake.com who bring us the latest news and the newest bands in the folk world. It's a straight download from this site where you can also have a listen.The site asks for a £1 donation or more with all profits going to the Integrated Cancer Centre at Kings College London. It's from a verity of artists performing more carols with a folky twist. Its a must download, great music for a great cause.

My favourite tracks are:
In The Bleak Mid Winter - Sam Airey
We Three Kings - Bears Den 

Get them all NOW. 

Let me know of any more great Christmas albums or songs that I might not have to add to the Christmas Ipod.

God Bless, L x

No comments:

Post a Comment